Newspaper archive grows at history museum
March 05, 2014Newspapers that have been published in Valley Center over the past 70 years are now in the permanent archives of the Valley Center History Museum and are available for public access.
The earliest local paper, Valley Center News, was published in 1942. The newest addition to the archive is the complete collection of the Valley Roadrunner which was recently donated to the local Historical Society by the newspaper's publisher, Eric Buskirk. Bound volumes of the paper, which began weekly publication in 1974 are now housed in the library's history room which is maintained by the historical society.
Volunteers at the History Museum have completed the task of digitizing all publications from 1943 to 1974. Titles include Valley Center News-Advertiser, Valley Center Scrub Oak and Valley Center Reporter. All were weekly papers. Historian Robert Lerrner also found a rare copy of the Valley Center Crier which was published by local air raid wardens during World War II.
Access to vintage newspapers will soon be available on the museum's website but a preview can be had by visiting archive.vchistory.org. The digitations process was made possible by a grant from County Supervisor Bill Horn to the History Museum.
In addition to the local publications, the museum has a number of stories and photographs that appeared in the North County Times and its predecessor, the Escondido Times Advocate. These documents were given to the Historical Society by the Union Tribune Publishing Co. after it acquired and subsequently ceased publication of the Times.
The Museum's local history archive covers the towns of Valley Center, Pauma Valley, Palomar Mountain, Pala and the Native American Tribes in the region.