Crime trend in Valley Center: Car prowls
October 27, 2013Recently there has been an increase in vehicle burglaries in Valley Center involving several vehicles parked in one location. These incidents have occurred while the occupants were at a party or other gathering and involve unlocked cars or instances where something was left in plain view. This has happened when cars line the street or rural area and are left unattended while the owners enjoy an event.
Below are some ways to prevent this from happening to you:
• Do not leave anything of value in your vehicle.
• Always lock your vehicle.
• If you must leave something in your vehicle, stow it in a secure compartment or trunk before you arrive at the location where your vehicle will be left unattended.
• If you notice anyone suspicious, contact the Sheriff's Department non-emergency line at 858-565-5200.
• When hosting a party make periodic checks of guest vehicles to ensure they are not tampered with.
Additionally, if you are hosting or attending a large gathering where cars will be left unattended, you can contact the Sheriff's Department to request extra patrol in that area. To request extra patrol:
• Visit the Valley Center Sheriff's Substation at 28201 N. Lake Wohlford Road or
• Call (760) 751-4400 during business hours (Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.) with the address, date and time of the event.
Reporting suspicious activity is another way to prevent crime and discourage illegal activity in your community. To report suspicious activity, call the 24-hour non-emergency line at 858-565-5200. In an emergency, call 9-1-1.