Tuesday, October 06, 2015 • 05:18

Boys lacrosse team beats University City but can't hold off Santa Fe Christian in triple overtime

John Luna brings the ball up the field against Santa Fe Christian.
April 02, 2014
The Valley Center varsity boys lacrosse team has unleashed a torrent of goals on its opponents so far this year, leading to five consecutive wins to start the season and at least 11 goals in each of those victories.

But the skies unleashed a deluge on the field at Jaguar Stadium on Wednesday night, and despite a heroic comeback in the fourth quarter, the Jags couldn't hold off the rain or the visiting Eagles of Santa Fe Christian and lost by a goal in the closing seconds of the third overtime period.

Last Monday, the Jaguars played at University City and rolled to a 16–4 win.

Then they returned home on Wednesday, only to be greeted by stormy skies and a fierce opponent, as Santa Fe Christian pulled out a 9–8 win in triple overtime.

Santa Fe Christian pulled ahead early to take a 5–1 lead in the final minute of the first half. But Ian Leek got free from behind the Eagles' net with a spin move that led to a goal that gave Valley Center a breath of hope trailing 5–2 at halftime.

The Eagles scored the first two goals of the third quarter, however, putting the Jags down 7–2 with just over six minutes left in the period. But just like in the second quarter, a late Valley Center goal got the Jaguars back on track. This time it was Jason Brewster who scored with 43 seconds left in the third to cut Santa Fe Christian's lead down to 7–3.

As the rain cleared for a few minutes at a time during the fourth quarter, the Jags took advantage of the momentarily-clear skies by putting together a brilliant scoring run. First, Andrew Chestnut scored on a mid-range shot to make the score 7–4 with 10:28 left in the game. Then with 8:46 on the clock, Chestnut scored again after a nice round of passing to make the score 7–5. Just under a minute later, Dawson Postuma got into the action with a long shot from a tough angle that somehow found its way into the back of the net and cut the lead down to one at 7–6.

The Jags tied the score with just over six minutes on the clock, as Brewster scooped up a loose ball on the run and cashed in the breakaway.

With time running out, Valley Center took the lead at 2:21 when Postuma hurled a long shot in from the top of the arc, capping a streak of five unanswered goals in less than a period for the Jaguars.

The Eagles wouldn't go away, however, as they rallied to tie the score with a long shot with only 1:37 left in the fourth quarter.

The score remained tied and the game went into overtime, then into a second overtime and eventually a third overtime, despite a number of scoring chances and good defensive stops by both teams.

With under two minutes left in the third overtime, Valley Center worked hard to get two shots, but neither found the mark and after the second one went out of bounds, the Eagles hustled to be nearest the ball and they took over.

The final goal of the game came with only 19 seconds left in the third overtime, as Santa Fe Christian stole the ball near midfield, worked their passes around and eventually let fly with a quick shot from an angle that bounced in for the game-winner.

After the win and the loss, the Jaguars are now 5–1 on the season. They have already played at Mt. Carmel on Monday and at home against San Marcos on Wednesday this week, and they play again at Fallbrook next Wednesday and then at University City next Thursday. Both games are scheduled for 7 p.m.

Reader Feedback Submission
Use this form to submit Reader Feedback. Your submission will be reviewed by our staff before appearing on the Web site.
* required value
Your Name*

Email (not shown on website)*