Rainmaker show debuts at museum
Charles Hatfield, the notorious "Rainmaker" is remembered
in a new museum exhibit called "Remembering the
Rainmaker." For those curious about the crop marks. The
photo originally belonged to the Times Advocate. When
the Union Tribune purchased the North County Times
(and ended its existence), it jettisoned the TA's old photo
morgue of hundreds of photos. Valley Center History
Museum took possession of several dozen images. The
museum also has a page one photo from the TA the day
after the flood hit in 1916 (see story).
August 28, 2013A new exhibition, Remembering the Rainmaker, opens Sept. 3 at the Valley Center History Museum.
The show, which features mementos and rare photos, recalls the life of folk legend Charles M. Hatfield, who claimed to have made it rain more than 500 times in parched towns around the world.
His rainmaking abilities nearly destroyed San Diego County in 1916 during a days-long torrential downpour and flood in Valley Center. An avalanche of water isolated the entire community for two months.
Hatfield's life was the subject of a play, movie, opera and novel, all of which are featured in the exhibit. Also on display are photos of Hatfield's house and 20-feet tall weather station and tower on Valley Center Road. The home, which was near the intersection with Woods Valley Road, was razed earlier this year by a commercial developer.
Hatfield the rainmaker died in 1958 at age 82, taking his secret rainmaking formula to the grave.
The museum at 29200 Cole Grade Road is open Tuesday through Saturday from 1 to 4 p.m. Admission is free. For more information, visit vchistory.org or call 760-749-2993.